There are many simple habits that we can incorporate into our daily lives to boost our immune system to its optimal functioning level. Eating fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and clean proteins is one. Adequate rest combined with proper fluid intake is another. So how do we free ourselves from illnesses that are brought on by lifestyle choices and interaction with our fellow man? How do we safeguard our health and create an immunity armor that will protect us at home, at work, and out in the public?
A quick explanation about how our immune system works is in order to inform us of what body systems are in play in protecting us. Our first line of defense is our hair, skin, and nails. Weak germs can be trapped by hair and skin cells that we can shed or wash away through proper hygiene. The first way then to create our suit of immune armor is proper hygiene. Keeping our bodies, teeth, and nails clean is a great way to ‘buff’ our armor daily. Skin protection also means limiting sun exposure to avoid burning and allowing germs to enter in cracked and weakened skin. Some germs will make it into our bodies through our mouth and travel either to our lungs or into our stomachs. Here it is important to maintain good gut health by eating foods with fiber and antioxidants as they will push along germs through our digestive system and send important vitamins like A and E to our lungs to keep them sterile and clean.
Those germs that do enter into our body will be met with our most sophisticated defense yet, the wide array of specialized cells that engage in specialized germ warfare. Immune cells can be assisted by our habits to do their job properly. Again, eating well, exercising regularly, getting adequate sleep and fluids are the best habits to boost our immune system. Supplements are also very beneficial to keep our immune system in shape. Here are habit and supplement suggestions to enhance our immune system;
• Proper and frequent hygiene
• Good fresh foods
• Keeping common areas clean, dusted, and open to air
• Create a stress free getaway
• Take lunch and assigned breaks, use this time to reduce stress and recharge your batteries
• Stay home if too ill to perform your job, this will reduce germ transmission rates
• Bring immune foods with you a.k.a. colorful foods high in antioxidants and low in processed sugar and fat
• Get outside when possible. A little sun exposure is good for our disposition
• Wash hands…clean hands are the number one way to prevent colds, flues, and foodborne illnesses
• Multivitamin and extra vitamin C (reduces the severity and duration of colds)
• Concentrated greens powder (to alkalize the body) full of minerals
• Coconut water, chock full of minerals and antioxidants
• B vitamins, important to activate immune system and help in boosting energy
Thinking about health while we are healthy is the surest way to maintain the gift of health. There really are no secrets to avoiding lifestyle diseases and living a long happy life but there are new and timely ways of reminding ourselves that a good steady basic approach to living can help us make health a cherished habit of the heart!