10 Oldest Homes in Redlands - Self Guided
Some of these have been remodeled and look dramatically different than they once did. Also, they're more than 10 because of ties. Put the address into Google maps to see the homes:
- 620 E. State St. (1875)
- 927 Post St. (1880)
- 31838 E. Citrus Ave.(1885)
- 184 S. Eureka St. (1886)
- 7 Grant St. (1887)
- 505 Chestnut Ave.(1887)
- 534 S. 4th St. (1887)
- 940 Chestnut Ave.(1887)
- 851 E. High Ave. (1888)
- 814 E. High Ave. (1888)
- 315 Grant St. (1888)
- 18 S. Eureka St. (1888)
- 315 E. Crescent Ave.(1888)
184 S. Eureka St. (1886-87)
Builder: Walter Lynn
The Walter Lynn home was constructed in 1887. Walter Lynn constructed his own home on the present site of the A.K Smiley Library. Walter and his brother James M. Lynn, had a carpenter shop facing Vine St. and advertised, “Lynn and Lynn, Carpenters and Builders.” This family business built many of the early homes in Redlands and specialized in exterior detailed woodwork. Later this firm would be known as Lynn and Lewis, and would construct many of the mansions of present-day Redlands.
In 1896 this home was moved to 184 Eureka by Isreal Beal, a noteworthy house mover of Redlands. The move was to make room for the library, which was completed in February 1898.
The home has gone through numerous owners until plans were revealed by the city in 1974 indicating future destruction. Dr. Dave Goodwin purchased the home and spent considerable time and money renovating the exterior and interior of seven rooms.
This structure could be an important contributor to a Smiley Park district.
7 Grant St. (1887)
Water connection: 1888
actual construction: 1890
Builder: T. W. Ladd
The original section of the house, begun in 1890, contained the living room, dining room, and two bedrooms. The kitchen and bathroom were added in 1910. House was completely rewired for electricity byt the plumbing was in good shape.
The current owner, Sharon Emmerson, spent many hours researching the title grant of the house, plus many hours in the restoration of the home, ceilings were restored to their original height of 12 feet after they had been lowered. A reproduction cast iron electrified cook stove finds its home in the kitchen and adds functional use as well as charm. Full basement under the house with a dirt floor - rumored that the wooden floor was torn up and burned for heating in war years.
505 Chestnut Ave.(1887)
Builder: M. E Davenport
Water connection: 1888
The plot was owned originally by M. M. (or D.) Phinny in 1888, then in 1901, Julia Green purchased the property and hired M. E. Davenport to build her house. The house was finished in 1901.
Interesting note: An article in the Redlands Daily Facts dated February 16, 1929 states that the renter of this home, Joe Lutz was arrested for operating an illegal still inside the home. The authorities confiscated the largest still found here. One very large still was in the kitchen and two smaller stills in other rooms. To operate the stills, the renter cut big holes in the walls and caused considerable damage.
Later in 1947 Ted and Nina Banek purchased the house and added a bedroom.
Gary and Ellen Paytas purchased the home in 1990 and have carefully added a bathroom, a beautiful sitting room, and a garage while staying true to the style and charm of the home, With its towering redwood trees and beautiful gardens the home is a historical gem on the ”Heights” of south Redlands.
The Redlands Historical Society commends Gary and Ellen Payts for their care and attention in maintaining this remarkable home.
534 S. 4th St. (1887)
Water connection: 1887 or 1902
Owner B. F. Edwards
Estimated construction: 1910
This home is one of several structures that are considered part of a historical district. At the request of the Office of Historic Preservation, the Redlands survey team gathered these houses together and surveyed them as potential district nominees. Individually they do not necessarily represent the cream of Redlands structures but together they are excellent examples of late 19th - early 20th century lifestyles and architectural style.
18 S. Eureka St. (1888) actual construction: 1899
Builder: J. W Hollett
Original owner: J. W. Hollett
Water connection: 1888
Hollett was an orange grower and had several groves above Olive Avenue. Strangely, the water connection for this home was on 1888, about 11 years before the home was built.
SOURCE: The City of Redlands records and Researcher Erika Lambert.
Photo Credit: Bruce Herwig
Promote Your Event on AboutRedlands.com
Visit our free event listing page to register your event on AboutRedlands.com.